Sunday, November 20, 2011

UNDERGROUND! (Charlie's off the MTA!)

It's almost 1 a.m. in the morning.  As the wind blows outside on Boston Common, the rain has changed to snow and is becoming steadier and heavier. Heavy snow is now predicted for Boston with about 6 to 12 inches in the area. It started raining 3 hours ago, but now the winds have switched to the North and are increasing to 40 miles per hour.  I'm going into the T station at Park Street where I see a sign saying "Significant Cutbacks!"  The announcement continues with the news that all weekend commuter rail service will be ended next month, and that after March 1st., the T will only operate from 6 a.m. until 12 Midnight Monday through Fridays and 10 a.m. to 12 Midnight on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays.  (There will be no service on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day, as well as Easter Sunday.)
I'm pissed off!  The T's already $12 billion in debt and no one is making any money on the recent fare increases.  I feel like Charlie on the MTA thanks to those fare hikes...
"Look!  There's a corpse on the track!" I hear someone yelling.  I rush over to see that it's the bones of Charlie, the man who never got off the MTA because of not having the fare to get off the train.  Rumor says that he had just sneaked off the trolley here early today, only to get hit by another train going to Boston College.  So after 6 decades, Charlie's finally off the MTBA.

"Did he ever return?"  Nope.

Sucks, doesn't it?  On that tragic and faithful day 60 years ago, he'd handed in his dime at Kendall Square, but couldn't get off because of not having another nickel.  Poor Charlie.  He'd ridden for 6 decades on the T, and he is dead.

Meanwhile, as I get on the train, I feel troubled.  And I weep unashamedly, having seen what I've just described to you.

As I get to the Quincy Center Station, I wipe my tears and walk towards the exit.  I go inside the Nathan's Hot Dog store, which is now open all night during the week.  Inside, the TV is airing the CNN Election Night program.  I realize that it's Election Day here in the USA, and I went to cast my vote earlier today.  Anyway, I'm watching the results coming in from around the country.  And I see a chilling series of headlines coming up on the screen:
"POPULAR VOTE: 89,000,000 APIECE!"

Tbe last 215 bus to Ashmont left 2 hours ago, so I decide to get a taxi.  Thank goodness there's one coming up and no one's waiting.  Suddenly, I see a pair of legs appearing in a nearby trash can.  I shout to the cab driver, "Call the police!  There's a pair of legs in the trash can."  He calls 911 as he speeds off to take me home.

A few minutes later, the trash can is emptied, and what is found is a horrible sight.  There's a woman who's been all tied up for hours.  All tied up and a gag in her mouth.  And of course, there are third degree burns over 100% of her body.  She's quickly taken to the hospital for an autopsy.

The next morning, I learn that the charred body of Bettie Boop has been identified at Mass. General Hospital.  The details of her death are too gross to say at this time.  Anyway, that means the Electoral College must decide the outcome on January 2nd.  And once that's codified, it looks as if a runoff election will take place on January 8th.

No comments: