Tuesday, January 27, 2009


As the T closed down for the night on Christmas Eve, a man dressed as Santa Claus was walking through the subway tunnel. A cold wind blew outside as the snow was turning to rain in the Boston area. They'd originally predicted a foot of snow in the Boston/South Shore area, but the storm was coming over Boston instead of staying off the Cape, as it was originally predicted to do.

Johnny-not his real name-was looking for a man who'd raped and murdered his sister the previous night. The decedent was at South Station, waiting for the train back to Alewife. She was carrying a number of bags full of Christmas presents for the family. As the train was announced, 3 punks jumped her, beat her up, and threw her in front of an oncoming train before stealing all her presents. The girl was unable to get out of the way before it crossed over her, severely injuring her.

"Someone's under the train!" the distraught conductor shouted as the train came to a halt. Meanwhile, inside a passageway, 2 other punks-not related to the 3 involved-came onto the platform and waited. The station officials were unable to pull the suffering girl out from under the train, so it had to pull out of the station so that medical personnel could come to her attention.

As the train pulled out, the punks jumped onto the track and carried her into a nearby passageway. There they raped her and jumped on her before shooting her 3 times. Nobody found the murderers, but the corpse was fresh when it was found an hour later. Scores of stunned commuters reported the horrible incident to the T police, but they couldn't find her assailants.

Naturally, when Johnny was told of her death, he went ballistic. As his family was making funeral arrangements that afternoon, he stole a gun from a gun shop without being caught by anyone, then walked down the street and sneaked into a nearby costume shop. Once inside, he slipped into an old Santa suit and sneaked out without being noticed. Now, he was walking into the tunnel, looking for the five punks who'd killed his sister.

He found them sitting around a charcoal fire in a secret passageway. "Murderers!" he screamed as he shot over a dozen bullets into them, sending them sprawling into the fire that they'd prepared. Because he was wearing gloves, there would be no DNA to trace his act. He stuffed the gun into one of the punks he'd shot and took off into the night. As he emerged into the station, a T police officer shouted "Freeze!"

Without answering, Johnny sped out of the station and into the tunnel. The T cop ran after him and shouted, "Stop or I'll Shoot!" Dodging the bullets from the inspector's gun, Johnny ran down the tunnel and into Downtown Crossing, where a train was being detained for a schedule adjustment. Scrambling onto the platform, he ran into the train just as the conductor was saying, "Thank you for your patience; this Braintree bound train will be moving out." As the train sped out of the station, the cop, accompanied by two others, ran up to the platform only to see the train headed into the tunnel.

Backtracking into the tunnel, the inspectors saw blood flowing out of the dark room. Sneaking into the passageway, he and his comrades saw the three punks lying with gunshots all over them. The inspector called for an ambulance and more back-up. After about 5 minutes, one of the Boston City Hospital ambulances that were in the neighborhood came over to Park Street and went down into the Red Line tunnel. All 3 of the youths were pronounced dead at the scene by the EMTs who responded to his call.

"This is Inspector 227," the cop barked into his walkie talkie. "Everybody be on the lookout for a 25-year-old male. He's wanted for the murders of 3 men inside the tunnel between Park Street and Downtown Crossing. He is completely dangerous; he's dressed as Santa Claus. Be on the lookout and arrest him!"

Of course, by the time that the train got to North Quincy station, Johnny had gotten rid of the Santa suit and thrown it into a trash can before disappearing again into the night. At last, he thought, my sister can rest in peace. By the time he'd gotten home, everybody had gone to sleep.

To be continued....

Around 4 a.m., the door at Johnny's house was busted down by several Quincy Police and Transit Police officers. They found Johnny asleep and picked him up.
"What the fuck are you doing?" Johnny yelled.
"Let's go, asshole!" one of the Quincy cops shouted. "You're coming with us!"
"What did I do?" Johnny asked.
"You shot and killed 3 homeless guys in the subway tonight!" one of the T cops shouted.
"They deserved to die!" Johnny screamed. "They killed my sister! After they jumped her, they killed her!"
"Well, two wrongs don't make a...." the Quincy cop said when his parents came in.
"What seems to be the problem?" Johnny's father said.
"Your son shot and killed those 3 suspects we had in your daughters murder," the T cop said.
"What were you thinking, you stupid ass?" Johnny's father shouted.
"I had to kill them!" Johnny said.
"Take him away!" his father shouted, bursting into tears.
"Please, Dad!" Johnny screamed, his voice choked by sobbing.
"You broke the law!" Johnny's mother said. "You have to pay the price!"
"Let's go, dickhead!" the Quincy cop shouted as they dragged him outside.
"Mom! Dad!" Johnny was heard screaming.
"I don't ever want to see you, or speak to you, again, Johnny!" his father screamed.  "Never, ever again!"
Both parents cried for over an hour.  They cried themselves to sleep and awoke around 7 a.m.
"I never thought he'd try a thing like that," Johnny's father said.
"Why, Pat?" his mother asked. "Why would he do such a thing?"
"I guess it was the news that those punks had killed his sister that made him do it," his father said.

Eventually, he would charged with capital murder and convicted. However, because of the fact that they'd killed a cop earlier in the evening, he'd get out on appeal.
But-that's a story for another day.

To be continued....

No comments: